8/02/2011

It's hot! - My excuse for everything

Ok, so I have a confession to make.

I’ve had posts written up for you, but part of the reason I haven’t posted them is because I have not taken the time to do the pictures. And I don’t know about you but one of my favorite parts about blogs is the pictures… Those things help me get a sense of personality and style from the author and make the article extra fun. Not that I claim to be particularly stylish… just that I claim a belief that pictures = better posts.

One of the pictures I need to take involves my garden. *pause for dramatic affect* Well. You’ve been outside, right? Or rather, tried not to? Because here’s the deal, friends… it’s hot. Not just hot. HHHHHOTTTT!!!!!!! There’s word that July was officially the hottest month ever recorded in Oklahoma. My cubicle neighbor at work has to rattle off the temperature like once an hour, so even in the chilled a/c, I’m on the ball. I kind of want a blanket here at my desk, but I’ve been told it’s currently 111 at one of the city Mesonet sites. But I digress.

I don’t want to go outside to take pictures. For one, it’s hot enough to be uncomfortable immediately. For another, no matter how much I do or do not water or mulch, everything in the yard is dying, and that won’t make for a pretty picture. Even giant shrubs… crepe myrtles, snowball trees, and huge honey suckle bushes and the  like… are dying. (I finally gave in and irrigated these with drip hoses last weekend, afraid I might lose them forever.) Plants I have that are supposed to prefer “full sun” are turning brown and brittle. My irises look like scarecrow stuffing. So yeah. I don’t want to show you a picture of my garden. Or a picture of ANYTHING that is outside ANYWHERE!!!  That would just be sad and depressing. (In the same kind of way that it is depressing to have 2 months of 100 degree temperature with nowhere easy access to a swimming lake! Although even those have been benefitting from toxic blue-green algae blooms this summer, so that may not help…)

I may give in and do it anyway. Or give you another boring post like this one, with no pictures.

No comments: